Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 30 - Don't stop 'til you get enough

DAY 30 - June 8, 2011

Ok, welp it's a wrap. Day 30 came and I ran out of time to fit in an "official" practice. I had to work and then head straight to the airport for my flight to Cali. I was going to get up early to practice, but yeah, that didn't happen. I know, excuses excuses. I did do eagle arms & some twists on the plane! Even though I didn't meet my goal of 30 classes in 30 days (drats), I did learn a lot during this time of renewed practice and reflection. Here are some of my thoughts on the last 30 days:
  • Daily practice makes you feel like a superhero.
  • Not practicing regularly makes you feel like a rusty robot that is filled to the edges with cement. Trust me, I went to class last night after a week vacation and I thought I was moving through a bucket of epoxy.
  • Yoga will change your relationship with food. You will start caring about all the stuff you are shoving into your piehole. A bonus side effect to an already awesome experience.
  • Toenail maintenance is often overlooked and this issue should be addressed by all those in the barefoot community. No need for an expensive pedi - just a simple cut and file will suffice.
  • Returning yoga props to their proper storage places after class can be a straight up battle zone. Please - stop for a moment before you start cutting lines/elbowing your classmates. Ride the happy yoga wave, breathe, and know that you will be able to get the props back to their rightful location eventually. In other words, chill the eff out. You're yogis, for cryin' out loud! Maintain some semblance of yoginess even when you're annoyed that you can't bob and weave your way to the block stack fast enough. Many thanks. Yours truly, the recently trampled.
  • "Om-ing" is fun and the vibrational resonance is so powerful. Try it! Get your friends to join you, it's even better in groups.
  • Check your yoga pants for any transparency issues BEFORE going to class. I learned this the hard way.
  • I love bolsters and will use them anytime I get a chance.
  • It's amazing what you can do when you start believing that you can do it. Get out of your head and just do it.
  • Blessed to be living in a city filled with unbelievable, inspiring, ass-kicking teachers and surrounded by a totally wicked (shout out to the new englanders out there) yoga community.
  • Yoga is a practice and a lifestyle. It's ok to not do all the fancy schmancy poses. Of course, arm balances, splits, crazy backbends, etc. are awesome and the more advanced poses help focus your mind on the task at hand, build strength/flexibility and can invigorate you, but they are not necessary in order to have a fulfilling, worthwhile and life-changing practice.
  • The intention and dedication you bring to your practice (and life) is what matters.
  • Yoga has taught me self-acceptance. Be true to where you are at each moment in time. Don't beat yourself up. Don't ignore yourself either - live a life of truth.
  • This is just the beginning. Totally content knowing that I have the rest of my life to continue with my "30 days". Each day will bring a new challenge and I am ready for it.
In the words of Michael Jackson, don't stop til you get enough.


I sure haven't had enough so I'll see YOU on the mat. Now, let's boogie.

No comments:

Post a Comment