Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tempeh Lettuce Wraps



When I am in the mood for something "meaty" I like to incorporate tempeh into my meal plan. I use Lightlife Organic Three Grain tempeh, which is made up of soybeans, brown rice, barley, and millet. Simple and delicious. Love the nutty flavor and the texture it has. Since the tempeh is dense and filling, I like to pair it with light veggies. In this case, I made lettuce wraps.

Ingredients:

1 package of tempeh, chopped into cubes
2 carrots, shredded (I used a vegetable peeler to make shavings)
1 head of lettuce of choice (something that will bend a little and be good wrappers for the filling)

Marinade:

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 water
3 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
2-3 garlic cloves, depending on size and preference, diced
2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup water

1. Combine all marinade ingredients together except cornstarch mixture in a small sauce pan and start to heat

2. Once heated, add in cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce. If it gets too thick, just add more water. If not thick enough, make more cornstarch/water mix and add to sauce. It's not an exact science and you have some room to play here. Don't sweat it - just depends on how thick you like your marinade.

3. When you get a consistency that you like for the sauce, let cool slightly. Then add enough sauce to cover tempeh fully in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for an hour or more. I let mine marinade for 24 hrs and the flavor was fully infused.

*I had extra sauce which I saved for another day in a air-tight container in the fridge. If you don't want extra sauce, you can reduce the amounts above.

4. After the marinade period is up, stir-fry tempeh on medium-high heat until fully heated.

Assemble wraps and dive on in.

No comments:

Post a Comment