Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 5 - Lead with your heart

DAY 5: May 14, 2011

As part of this challenge, I told myself that I would like to focus on expanding my yoga practice in any and every way. By this I mean that I want to try new studios, teachers, classes, poses, etc. So with this in mind, I ventured over to Samara Yoga Studio on Elm St in Davis Square for a Level 2 Anusara-inspired flow class with Hannah Emlen. New studio - check. New teacher - check. Anusara? I think I've done this once or twice before, but for all intensive purposes I'm going to say: New class - check.

Positioned on the second floor above the Burren Pub, I walked up the flight of stairs to the studio and was greeted by a phantom "hello" coming from what appeared to be the walls. A few minutes later a smiling girl with hot pink hair appeared from the bathroom with a jug filled with water. She led me through the check-in process where I signed up for the new student special, which you can find at almost every studio around - it's $25 for unlimited yoga for the first two weeks (if it is your first time at the studio). The space at Samara is bright and clean, though the smell of pub food wafted in through the open windows from the watering holes below (and it was makin me hungry!). The class was filled with hip opening (think rockstar, lizard, hanuman, etc), twisting, and we had some time to play with inversions at the wall. Hannah had a pleasant demeanor and kept checking in with us to see how the poses were feeling. I think at one point she instructed us to "soften your brain into your heart". Still trying to figure that one out. It must be an Anusara, "let your heart lead the way" kinda thing.

Day 5 overall: Was pleased with my experience at this new studio and will definitely go back. The humid air and plenty of chaturangas led to an active, warming flow. Distracted by fried food and the stubble on my legs (this is why I don't wear cropped pants to yoga, I remind myself). Content with my practice for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment