Saturday, May 14, 2011

My 30-Day Yoga Challenge (Days 1 & 2)

I'm always up for a new challenge. Hey, that's how I found yoga in the first place. So in the spirit of adventure and testing my will power, I have embarked on a self-inflicted 30-Day Yoga Challenge. It's simple - 30 days, 30 classes. I began a few days ago, so allow me recap:

DAY 1: May 10, 2011

It was a cold day in Boston. Too cold for May if you ask me, but luckily for my chilled bones, there is a sweaty yoga heaven just down the road from my work. It's called Sweat and Soul Yoga Studio (aka SASY), the small but inviting sister studio to the much larger Back Bay Yoga Studio (aka BBY) downtown. With it's deep red walls and steamed up windows, you know immediately you are going to walk out of this place with a few less toxins than you walked in with. I attended the Hip Hop Yoga class with studio owner, Lynne Begier. I love throwing this class into the mix because 1.) I love hip hop and what better way to rock Natarajasana than to the rhythmic beats of 50 Cent and 2.) between the music, the sweat, and the challenging flow, you will forget about anything and everything else going on in the world. Sometimes that is exactly what I need. The only thing is that I have to restrain myself from rapping/dancing during class. I can only assume that this is frowned upon.

Day 1 overall: Sweaty and happy. Good start. This should be a breeze...

DAY 2: May 11, 2011

Ok, I can definitely feel my ass today. Yup, I know it's there.

Today's class was vinyasa flow at BBY with Georgia Reath. Lot's of heart opening and backbending. Sitting in front of a computer for 8 hrs everyday has caused me to suffer from regular neck and shoulder discomfort (like so many other desk jockeys in this world), so these classes are always welcome in my book.

Day 2 overall: Felt strong, a little wobbly when balancing. Think I got into the deepest Urdhva Dhanurasana of my life. Started working toward standing up from there... that'll be the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment